B&W G3. No boot from old OS disk or YDL on hard drive, boots from YDL CD

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 12:09:22 MDT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:51:14 -0500, matthew dechant
<mdechant at insightpd.com> wrote:
> OK, I fixed it. Here was the solution, which may have been obvious to
> everyone but me.

So you _were_ able to boot with Mac OS CDs?

> Secondly, I was using an Adaptec aha2940 SCSI controller (not mac specific,
> called power domain or something), which YDL recognized perfectly, but Open
> Firmware did not. There are apparantly very few cards supported by OF, which
> of course in both cases above, you FIRST need OF to support it and recognize
> it as a bootable disk, even if YDL doesn't have a problem with it.

Very strange! The Adaptec 2940 SCSI is Apple standard issue. I had one
in a B&W once upon a blue moon and the SCSI HD that was hooked up to
it booted quite nicely on YDL 2.1. (I seem to recall that drives
hooked up to the SCSI bus aren't of the hda1 naming variety though).

I'm a tad confused b/c you don't seem to use the SCSI for anything?
You say your drive is IDE, the drive you swaped in from the Beige G3
was probably also IDE and the CD-ROM in the B&W is IDE as well.

Anyway, enjoy your new (`purty') blue tower!

Eric.