Upgrading GIMP to 2+

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 18:05:59 MDT 2004

Well, I'm trying to get GIMP 2 installed without much luck. I've
downloaded the libraries that are listed as dependencies at gimp.org
and am stuck at step number one.

I'm trying to install glib-2.4.7 and getting nowhere. I've run
'./configure', followed by 'make' and then 'make install'. And, just
in case it does something, 'ldconfig' (as per
<http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.4/gtk/gtk-building.html>).

The first step doesn't seem to error out, neither does the second, nor
the third. However, when I try to ./configure the next library in the
GIMP recommended series (pango-1.4.1) it ends with the following:

*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB is incorrectly installed.
configure: error:
*** Glib 2.4.0 or better is required. The latest version of
*** Glib is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.
[root at localhost pango-1.4.1]#

When I run 'locate 2.4.7' or 'locate glib-2.4' all the command finds
is the files in the installer directory (I ran 'updatedb' before
'locate'). Evidently the problem is at step #1 (yippi).

Am I perhaps missing a dependency for glib-2.4.7? Do I have to
configure something special to install it? Build it? Is there
somewhere to look for errors? (I've quickly skimmed config.log but
it's 1000s of lines of (what is to me) gibberish).

Thanks in advance for trying to help. I'm hoping someone else has gone
through this before and has an idea of what to do.

Eric.