XFree86 muckup - "lost" font called 'fixed'

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 09:28:28 MDT 2004

Thanks for the thoughts Matthias:

Well, I'd "sort of" got it working before I even read your e-mail (PS
It's a disk space issue).

'services xfs start' wouldn't work. HOWEVER, just running 'xfs'
followed by 'startx' in another terminal (session?) was sufficient to
get it working (provided I was in root when I
'startx'ed)!!!

Anyway, I couldn't believe that it would be a disk space issue, but it
is! KDiskFree says so!

I have /home set to 35 MB with only 16.2% used. / is set to 7.7 GB
(which I figured'd be more than enough) with 100% full. Where, oh
where has all my space gone?

PS If you're ever going to have two computers on the same network with
very similar IPs (off by 0.0.0.1) don't use the same account with the
same password (I've already changed one of them!!!). I was about to
'reboot' my fiance working on our OS X laptop (without her or my
knowledge) because I couldn't figure out what was going on -- I'd
logged into the wrong computer!!! (du -hcd 1 was giving me OS X
directories and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Linux
would've mounted my OS X partition on the YDL computer ;P)

Eric.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:34:27 +0200, Matthias Saou
<thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net>
wrote:
> Eric Dunbar wrote :
>
> > I rebooted and my XFree86 no longer comes up but errors out. It says
> > "could not open default font 'fixed'".
>
> Seems like xfs isn't running anymore. Check with "service xfs status", and
> "chkconfig --list xfs" to see if it's still enabled for runlevel 5 at
> least.
>
> If it tells you that xfs is dead by pid file exists, try running as root
> "xfs -droppriv -nodaemon" and look at the output it gives you to have the
> first clue about what's going wrong (messed up /tmp? filesystem full?).
>
> Matthias
>
> --
> Clean custom Red Hat Linux rpm packages : http://freshrpms.net/
> Fedora Core release 2.91 (FC3 Test 2) - Linux kernel 2.6.9-1.643.radeon
> Load : 0.25 0.23 0.12

Sincerely, Eric Dunbar