Which Hardware-Raid works ?

Atro Tossavainen atro.tossavainen+ydl at helsinki.fi
Sun Oct 31 23:35:50 MST 2004

> I'm looking for a Hardware-Raid which works on PowerPC Linux.
> I've tried the following SCSI Raid-controller but had some problems:
>
> DPT SmartRaid V Millennium
> AMI MegaRaid 500 Express
> ICP GDT 6118 RP

What problems did you have specifically?

> Could anyone please recommend me some working Raid-controllers ?

The biggest problem that I can see offhand is that most cards' BIOS
is x86 specific, so you cannot manage RAID arrays at boot time like
you would on a peecee.  Also, there is no RAID management software
for PPC Linux (like "dptutil" on Sun) that would allow you to control
the arrays for any such cards from the OS.  At least none that I am
aware of (which may not be the whole truth, of course).

I don't see a workaround.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,