Semi newbie question

David Chart yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 05 Sep 2004 10:15:21 +0900

GDB-B&W-YDL3.0.1 wrote:

> David Chart wrote:
>
>> GDB-B&W-YDL3.0.1 wrote:
>>
>>> What's the best way to share an osx partition while running ydl?  The
>>> machine is a B&W G3 400 Mhz, 80Gb HD, 896 Mb RAM running ydl 3.0.1
>>> and os 10.3.5.  Here is the line I'm using in my fstab file to mount
>>> the partition:
>>>
>>> /dev/hda10 /home/doug/osx hfs defaults 0 0
>>>
>>> It doesn't produce the results I was hoping for.  I basically want to
>>> be able to share files between ydl and osx.
>>>

>> The OSX partition is HFS+, right? You'll need to enable HFS+ support
>> in the kernel. The instructions are on the YDL website -- it's
>> supposed to be easy in 3.0.1. (I've never done it, because I keep a
>> separate 1 gig HFS partition for moving files. On occasion, that empty
>> partition, which can be wiped and used for other things without
>> damaging my system, has been a life-saver.)
>>
> Thanks David, I will give that a shot.  I just assumed that it was HFS.
> I also have an OS9 partition on the drive, should it be HFS+ also?

Probably. That's the default option, so if you didn't deliberately
change it, it will be.

Just a warning: if you have OSX 10.3 or higher, the OSX partition is
probably journalled. The Linux support for that is, apparently, still
experimental, and the recommendation, last I heard, was not to write to
such disks from Linux. You might be better off working through the OS 9
partition, which shouldn't be journalled (since OS 9 can't do it).

>  I'm
> actually more of a stranger to Mac stuff than Linux, so would I be
> better off just creating a plain ol' HFS partition like you mentioned?

Not if you're more comfortable in Linux. I did it that way because it
was easier for me to make the fixes on the Mac side; if you're more
comfortable in Linux it's probably easier to set up HFS+ reading.

--
David Chart
http://www.davidchart.com/