What about Linux-on-Mac?---Gentoo For Mac OS X Installation and Usage Guide

slimboyfatboyslim yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 02:07:41 +0800

--Apple-Mail-3-222744738

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/macos-guide.xml

=A9=F3 7 Sep 04 1:33 AM =AE=C9=A1AClinton MacDonald =B4=A3=A8=EC=A1G

> [...]
> means may be to purchase (or scrounge) a cheap used PC and install=20
> Linux on that. I bought a 933 MHz Dell Mystery Box for about US$210=20
> from this site:
>
> <http://www.dellauction.com/>
>
> It runs Mandrake Linux 9.2 like a charm!
>
>> It's interesting that Linux can run on an iPod and that
>> Linux can host Mac OS X, but not the opposite.
>
> For a little while I had Mac OS 9 loaded on a 5 GB iPod that I used=20
> for diagnostics and hard drive maintenance. I soon abandoned that. The=20=

> iPod is not designed to have the drive spun up continually, and it=20
> gets very, very hot. Not a good situation.
>
>> I would love to see the iPod driven by Mac OS X Lite instead
>> of the closed OS it currently use.
>
> That would be interesting, but of limited usefulness, I think.
>
> <opinion> Mac OS X is too complex for the kinds of things one does on=20=

> an iPod. The iPod's OS (whatever it is called) is really well tuned to=20=

> one-handed operation using a limited set of input controls. Kudos to=20=

> the company (I have forgotten its name) Apple contracted for the=20
> interface design design. Just as one might not want to be running=20
> Microsoft Windows on a cell phone (no matter how dumbed down), one=20
> probably doesn't want to run Mac OS X on an iPod. </opinion>
>
> However, I agree with you that Apple should open the iPod APIs to=20
> third party developers. Imagine the burst of innovative uses we might=20=

> see if the creative hacking community were set loose on the iPod!
>
>> And to stay on point, I think it would be tremendously useful
>> to be able to run Linux within Mac OS X. The reason it hasn't
>> been done yet is probably that the Linux developer community
>> is probably bigger than the Mac OS X/Darwin community.
>
> I think you are right about the limited resources of the Darwin=20
> community. The promise of Open Source is the "thousands of eyeballs"=20=

> are better than one. The reality of Open Source is that only one or=20
> two eyeballs is not enough (well, make that "two or four eyeballs" :-)=20=

> ).
>
> However, you have several options to run Linux within Mac OS X. As we=20=

> have mentioned, the Fink project, imperfect though it might be, gives=20=

> you a large number of ported Open Source applications for your=20
> pleasure. Second, if you know how (I don't), you can compile almost=20
> any Open Source project for yourself (and then make it available to=20
> the Finkers!). Third, you can install Yellow Dog Linux on your Mac and=20=

> dual boot. Finally, you can purchase Virtual PC and install Linux=20
> within that environment.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Best wishes,
> Clint
>
> --=20
> Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald AT sbcglobal=20
> DOT net>

> HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> =
site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

slimboyfatboyslim
http://www.slimboyfatboyslim.org

--Apple-Mail-3-222744738
	charset=BIG5

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/macos-guide.xml

1:33

</fontfamily><excerpt>Mr. Roy:

Steve Roy wrote:

<excerpt>On Sep 6, 2004, at 10:05 AM, Zugwrack wrote:

<excerpt>Or better yet just use the opendarwin project to use the

same applications that are run in linux, except they have

been ported to run on the darwin layer in OS X.

</excerpt>This is all very cool but missing the point, which is that

I need to run the Java software I develop in a complete

Linux environment.

</excerpt>

Aha! You did not say that before. Have you considered a PC Linux
installation on Virtual PC?

If you *really* want to develop for Linux, your most cost effective
means may be to purchase (or scrounge) a cheap used PC and install
Linux on that. I bought a 933 MHz Dell Mystery Box for about US$210
from this site:

<<http://www.dellauction.com/>

It runs Mandrake Linux 9.2 like a charm!

<excerpt>It's interesting that Linux can run on an iPod and that

Linux can host Mac OS X, but not the opposite.

</excerpt>

For a little while I had Mac OS 9 loaded on a 5 GB iPod that I used
for diagnostics and hard drive maintenance. I soon abandoned that. The
iPod is not designed to have the drive spun up continually, and it
gets very, very hot. Not a good situation.

<excerpt>I would love to see the iPod driven by Mac OS X Lite instead

of the closed OS it currently use.

</excerpt>

That would be interesting, but of limited usefulness, I think.

<<opinion> Mac OS X is too complex for the kinds of things one does on
an iPod. The iPod's OS (whatever it is called) is really well tuned to
one-handed operation using a limited set of input controls. Kudos to
the company (I have forgotten its name) Apple contracted for the
interface design design. Just as one might not want to be running
Microsoft Windows on a cell phone (no matter how dumbed down), one
probably doesn't want to run Mac OS X on an iPod. <</opinion>

However, I agree with you that Apple should open the iPod APIs to
third party developers. Imagine the burst of innovative uses we might
see if the creative hacking community were set loose on the iPod!

<excerpt>And to stay on point, I think it would be tremendously useful