fstab stat to /dev/dvd failure

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
10 Sep 2004 11:07:26 -0400

Greetings Gang:
Some of you may recall sometime ago I reported, complained, etc.
regarding getting ide-scsi running within the 2.4.20-8d kernel; I solved
that problem and am preparing an FAQ for the YDL FAQ website regarding
the process.  Also I've discovered a range of interesting problems
regarding kernel upgrades as a side-effect of my efforts, again that is
another story.

For now let it be sufficient that I'm running linux-2.4.20-8d and
ide-scsi is running as it should.  I discussed elsewhere that the cdrw
device which replaced the standard cdrom which Apple provided with my
Beige 233Mhz minitower (ssshhh...no giggles please) is listed in various
ways as the kernel boots up:

     86 hda: LITE-ON LTR-52327S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
.
.
.
    120 sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 99x/52x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

cdrecord and dvdrecord report the same thing with the scanbus option:

[root@arakus root]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 2.0 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg
Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-52327S      ' 'QS57' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *
scsibus2:
        2,0,0   200) 'QUANTUM ' 'FIREBALL SE4.3A ' '    ' Disk
        2,1,0   201) *
        2,2,0   202) *
        2,3,0   203) *
        2,4,0   204) *
        2,5,0   205) *
        2,6,0   206) *
        2,7,0   207) *

but despite the above when the kernel boots up the message as follows
appears which is NOT recorded in any boot logs:

Updating /etc/fstab cannot stat /dev/dvd [FAILURE]

Any clues???