YDLFAQ-OT

admin@datazap.net yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:30:13 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

So, what are you saying. Should I run powerpc, or a sun. I will probably
put NetBSD on either system, and all I would need is a rack mount case for
the powerpc system (Although, I may need to do some work either way to
make the kernel boot). Also, the powerpc has twice the clock speed of the
sun for less money (ships with debian linux), but I would like to see a
comparsion of the 2 systems serving pages. I don't have alot of data on
suns, expect I have a friend who had one in the same colo. I was able to
do a comparsion between the my server (coldfire processor) and a my
friends ultra 5 (running gentoo) with a 350 mhz dell. Now, both server
where active. I think mine was taking about 150,000 hits a day, and my
friends a few hundred. Apache bench showed that I could take about 96 hits
a second, and his about 115.  As I increaded the amount of simultaneous
connects my hits per second went up, and his went down. With this data I
think that can safely say that a Motorla cpu can hold its own.

Also, I have been looking for a non-intel based system that I can get a
dealership for to resell with either NetBSD and Linux on it. Although, I
guess it was built with the idea of running another os. All of the work to
develope and debug it was done with Debian. So, it is a system that was
really built to run unix, and everything that plug into it (with the
exception of the G4 or G5) is cheap and widely availiable. That is why I
am looking at an amigaone.

Thanks,
Al