YDLFAQ-OT

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:26:56 -0700

> So, what are you saying. Should I run powerpc, or a sun.

That's ultimately your decision.

As a geek, I'd love to play with the PPC and get YDL running on it, if I
could.

As a miser, I'd buy the Sun because I know I'd have lots of software I could
run on it (assuming it still had Solaris on it.) I haven't tried Linux on a
SPARC, but I know I wouldn't want to run it for very long. Again, it would
be something to try and get a feel for it running on that platform. We all
know how much fun it is trying to get source code compiled on !x86 machines.
I don't even want to think about a BSD distro on a SPARC. SunOS was bad
enough....

(Don't get me wrong. I *love* Suns - but only Suns that run Solaris.)

Bill