YDLFAQ-OT

R. Hirschfeld yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:04:56 +0200

> Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:30:13 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "admin@datazap.net" <admin@datazap.net>
>
> Also, I have been looking for a non-intel based system that I can get a
> dealership for to resell with either NetBSD and Linux on it. Although, I
> guess it was built with the idea of running another os. All of the work to
> develope and debug it was done with Debian. So, it is a system that was
> really built to run unix, and everything that plug into it (with the
> exception of the G4 or G5) is cheap and widely availiable. That is why I
> am looking at an amigaone.

There's also the Pegasos.  I don't know much about it but I believe
the current version is a 1GHz G4 PPC on a MicroATX motherboard, or you
can buy a complete system in an enclosure.  Comes with both its own OS
MorphOS and Debian GNU/Linux.  They also offer an "open desktop
workstation" that comes with either Debian or YDL.  From their site:

  Linux is available under the GNU Public License (GPL), ensuring that
  both the binaries and the source code are usable and viewable.
  Nevertheless, most users still seek value-added services and support
  that can be tailored to their needs and objectives. It is for this
  reason Motorola and Genesi have chosen Terra Soft Solutions and
  Yellow Dog Linux when an associated support package is required.

I believe Gentoo supports it as well (probably other distros too).

There are some interesting comparisons on their "Processor" page.

See:

http://www.pegasosppc.com/
http://www.ultraspec.us/pegasos.htm  (a U.S. reseller)