"failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-4c46, errno=8" booting G3 ltsp clients

Derick Centeno yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
19 Sep 2004 15:28:25 -0400

Funny...I had looked just at that SAME page to discover the details
regarding what kind of cards the computers would use!

You are probably trying to install from YDL 3.0 cd's it may be to your
advantage to refer to the YDL FAQ page regarding installation problems
with those cd's.  Here's the link:

http://www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start

Using the Macs as dumb-clients is a sad waste of potential and power.
YDL works better at higher speeds, as does anything else, but it may
interest you that I'm doing fine running YDL 3.0 on a 233MHz Minitower.
And it's running a slew of things all the time which cannot be done
within OS 9.

Regarding kernels because you are in YDL 2.0 you could upgrade your
kernel and your other YDL apps via apt or apt-get. Then when the
upgrades have completed you can upgrade to yum and then let yum continue
the upgrade and installation process for you.  You will have to also
modify the yum.conf file so that things move optimally.  Again this is
covered in the YDL FAQ pages in detail.

You may be interested in just going a wee bit beyond what's expected and
network the Macs so they together are a supercomputer; this was done
interestingly enough by Macaddict and they published how it was done.
I don't recall the specifics but you can check their website
(www.macaddict.com) and ask them.  Of course universities have done
better and larger scale stuff but I recall the article being unique in
how little was needed to get it going.

It's interesting that one of the earliest debates regarding Powerful
systems goes back to what every technical person has discussed since
(Steve) Jobs and (Bill) Gates first covered it.  Power in hardware or
Power as user based applications?  It is the same here and you alone
will know whether users will be happy being limited to a design which
can grow by orders of magnitude or not.

It's your party...

Regarding improving hardware issues you should check out Other World
Computing (www.macsales.com) or Compuvest (www.compuvest.com).  I've
done business with both companies and they are both knowledgeable,
inexpensive and are solid dealmakers.