Linux-on-Linux

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 25 09:59:23 MDT 2004

Mr. Hirschfeld et alia:

(Unfortunately, this post will not answer your question, and might be
considered off-topic for that reason.)

R. Hirschfeld wrote:
> There's been recent discussion about both Mac-on-Linux
> and Linux-on-Mac, but how about Linux-on-Linux? [...]

I have been trying to follow these discussions, but I must be missing
some essential piece of understanding on this topic. What does everyone
mean by "Mac-on-Linux," "Linux-on-Mac," and the like? Is this what is
realized in an emulator such as Virtual PC, in running an instance of
the Mac operating system in a window such as MOL in Yellow Dog Linux, or
in running a virtual machine like the Java engine?

In any of those cases, why would one want to run "Linux-on-Linux"? Isn't
the booted instance of Linux good enough? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Clint