USB printer, USB card and sharing it over a LAN

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 30 11:12:04 MDT 2004

Alright, I have a three plus one part question re network printing and USB
PCI cards:

I have a PowerMac G3 Beige 266 MHz (Rev B) running YDL 3.0.1 as a server
(http, ftp, ssh, Samba at the moment, and WebDAV, nfs and atalk in the near)
and would like to turn it into a print server for my USB Canon i550 inkjet.
This will require me to add a USB PCI card to the Beige G3.

1. Is it possible to use any old USB PCI card to add USB support to a
PowerMac G3 Beige or does it have to be a specific one? If specific, is
there a list of supported cards anywhere? (or, does anyone have
suggestions)?

2. Can you hook up a printer (Canon i550) to the USB card and print to it
from YDL?

3. Is it possible to network the printer such that Mac users running OS X
(and, perhaps 9) can print to it?

Ideally the printer driver would support the fake 'duplex' option of the
Canon i550's printer driver but I suppose that's not going to be likely (the
Canon driver automagically prints the one side, and then the software tells
you when to take the pages and insert them into the printer again for the
2nd side).

3+1. Would it be possible to run OS X under MOL in order to provide network
printing services?

I'm liking YDL as a learning experience but printing is perhaps the
single-most important feature in my networking needs and I may have to
switch to OS X if that's the only way to get it :-( (the consumer version of
OS X has everything I need (http, WebDAV, network file sharing for Macs,
mail server, Webmin support) but I'd rather learn a thing or two about
running and trouble-shooting a Linux box... plus, there are some pretty cool
softwares available for YDL and there's not as much CPU overhead for the GUI
(though, the GUI isn't exactly the most stable aspect of YDL ;)... which
reminds me that I need to learn how to re-launch KDE and GNOME from an
external ssh connection without doing a 'reboot').

Thanks, Eric.

MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling
get-togethers.
first two months FREE*.