What happening when I type a single quote on the command line

Felix Jodoin felixj at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 3 17:56:56 MDT 2005

I am not trying to start a flame.
Hey now, in my opinion the only dumb question is the one of being annoying. If a person can take the time to copy and paste the syntax and then write up an email, USUALLY (with exception of spammers) you should take the time to at least reply or at least not insult the person. After all, the Open Source community is what makes Linux and all of it's programs tick. If we loose the strong community, because noone can ask questions, or they feel too timid to file a bug report, it will fail. That is why Windows is failing. We do not want to take that route.
Again, I'm just stating my opinion. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything.
-Felix J