Capturing an rstp, mms or ogg audio stream and coverting to MP3

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 20:28:13 MDT 2005

On Apr 3, 2005 6:12 PM, Daniel Gimpelevich
<daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco> wrote:
> OGG for iTunes:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=41359
> Convert OGG to MP3 with oggdec followed by LAME.

It wasn't working with iTunes when I tried it a few days ago, but, I
also didn't try very hard since vlc worked flawlessly.

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:45:39 -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:
>
> > I also suspect there are some apps out there that can be coaxed into
> > automagically converting OGG into MP3 or AAC format (if I can find any
> > OGG plug-ins for iTunes I could use the magic of Unix under OS X).

I'm not at the auto-conversion stage of things yet (doing this on my
YDL box) but I have two issues in this e-mail...

#1 I am trying to create a script for a cron job to automagically
download a stream file and need some help stopping/killing the
process.

I will run the script ideas-download at 21:00 and would like to stop
stream capture at 22:00. It is the script that'll run at 22:00 that
isn't quite "perfect" (it works for all practical purposes but I'd
like it to be "clean"):

Right now I use wget to download the stream and "killall wget" to kill
the d/l. Instead, I'd like to grab the PID for the *right* wget
process and kill it (in case, for some strange reason, I may want to
have more than one wget active at a time).

One problem I see is that "ps -fe |grep "wget http://ogg" ALSO picks
up the grep process. The other problem that I have is that I'm not
sure how to extract the PID, even if I can pick up the right process.

As an alternate solution, is there perhaps a way to write the PID of
the wget process to disk or an environment variable when wget is
launched so that I can use the PID later in the second script to
"kill" the wget at 10:00 pm?

#2 I have to figure out how to insert these scripts into the cron
schedule "properly" (I can do it with WebMin but should, I suppose,
learn how to do it "right" as well (just in case)):

Script #1, ideas-download:
#!/bin/bash
Date=$(date +%Y.%m.%d)
URL="http://oggtrial.nm.cbc.ca:80/cbcr1-toronto.ogg"

wget $URL -O CBC-Radio-Ideas--$Date

Script #2, stop-ideas-download
#!/bin/bash
killall wget

PS YellowDoggers ... I've tried playing some of the d/l ogg file in
the players included in 4.0 but keep getting complaints about the
audio device being unavailable. Does this have something to do with
the audio problems that are known to dog "the 4.0 Y'dog"? (I do get
the test sound in the Soundcard detection tool)

Sincerely, Eric