Firewire help, please...

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Apr 5 11:49:06 MDT 2005

Hi Dylan:
Don't worry ...arrogance is something all humans have.  This is
probably why we are all learning to deal with one another, other
species and our technological and other creations!  Anyway before I go
way off-topic I recommend that you review this old link regarding
creating custom kernels:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/
kernels.shtml

What is useful there are the details as regards to what steps come at
what point.  The procedures discussed probably will remain forever as
long as Linux itself exists.  You may already know it very well, still
a lot of mistakes due to impatience can be avoided just by sticking to
established practices and procedures.  Given what you already have gone
through and the difficulties you've experienced you may want to
consider using the make menuconfig format and become versed with
accessing the various help and explanations embedded in various screens
throughout the module selection process which provide explanations to
nearly every possible selection allowing you to decide (then and there)
whether you actually need that module.

It has been my experience that as the kernels become more advanced, the
explanations actually become clearer and more concise.  This may be my
own interpretation as I have taken the time to exhaust nearly every
variant explanation file or discussion possible for nearly every option
in building a new kernel.  You may discover, if you are patient enough,
that some modules are deprecated and unnecessary where other new ones
are still experimental and untried.  As it has become clear you could
be running YDL or intend to, run it from a Powerbook, the modules you
choose will affect how the kernel behaves.

However, the plain vanilla kernel provided and built by others (such as
the stock YDL 4.0 kernel) may be the way for you to go as already it is
successful on many machines and the modern kernels are very much more
astute in loading the appropriate modules for the machines they find
themselves to be running upon.  This could save you from the angst of
the decisions you are considering until you make the time to comprehend
more of which modules do what, why and how.

IP tunneling has been or is used as a particular form of file transfer
within or while using SSH.  References exist discussing this and other
things of passing interest or headaches (depending on one's view) in
such works sold at such places as www.fatbrain.com ...Yes, you too can
educate yourself to the level of heightened chronic cyberconcious
madness!  So...take your time to swallow, breath and do yoga
interspersed with the other techie stuff you may need to reference and
utilize.  No human should ever sound like R2D2 ...so when enough is
enough remember to take a break and come back later.  Hey fella... it's
Spring.  Ya know... SPRING!  Remember to go to a local beach!

The work, these and related projects will all still be around.
However, Life is moving on and living is far way MORE important.

However you arrange your breaks or time off this stuff... you may
discover a sharper perspective and/or really unique insight.  Doing the
reference reading and testing, and drawing correct lessons or
observations from it can only happen when one is clear.  It has been
said that Newton was in an Apple Orchard when musing upon gravity.
Einstein dreamed his concepts of relativity.  So as silly and
non-linear as it sounds maybe a straight line is NOT the shortest way
to a goal!

Best wishes...