Think I killed X....

Baruch Chaim Stone stone at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 7 21:08:53 MDT 2005

Howdy, folks. I write you think while booted into run level 3 (lacking X)
as when I tried to start X (as root and regular user) I got an error
saying something along the lines
of "could not initialize kde-init. check your installation" and then it
spit out the following:

Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.10-1.ydl.1 (root at build.terraplex.com) (gcc
version 3.3.3 (Yellow Dog Linux 3.3.3-16.ydl.7)) #1 Tue
Feb 8 10:24:20 MST 2005
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Fri Apr  8 03:05:20 2005
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"

kde-config: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot
xset:  bad font path element (#58), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...
ksplash: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open
kdeinit: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open
startkde: Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation.
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
ksmserver: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot
startkde: Shutting down...
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.

waiting for X server to shut down

I have confirmed that libqt-mt.so.3 (which is symlinked to 3.3.3) is there
and even set permissions to 777.

I am not sure at all what is going on as it worked perfect fine before.
Any ideas?

Sincerely yours,
Baruch Stone
stone at fas.harvard.edu