smb volume not mounting when security = user

xlargebear at bellsouth.net xlargebear at bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 9 16:34:00 MDT 2005

Hi
  I got G3 running YDL4 from which I'd like to share a folder. I mount
this folder using mount_smbfs on a G5 running MacOS X 10.3.8.
This is my configuration:

  [global]
  workgroup = linuxbox
  security = share

  [files]
  comment = files
  path = /home/john
  valid users = john
  printable = no
  writeable = yes
  create mask = 0775

  As long as I keep security to SHARE everything works fine. I can
browse the network and mount the folder either using the GUI or the
terminal with mount_smbfs. The problem is when I change security from
SHARE to USER. After I do that I get this error in the terminal:
  mount_smbfs: session setup phase failed: syserr = Permission denied
  If I use the finder, then it says that the alias could not be found.
  Why is it that it doesn't work with security set to user?