Install on a Beige G3

Barry barrynyc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 20:07:30 MDT 2005

I have a beige G3 and have succeeded in installing YDL 2.2 on it, but
have failed to get YDL 2.3 or 3.01.

My attempt to put YDL 2.3 was some time ago; I don't remember the
particulars. I've seen here that people have succeeded with much later
versions on a G3, so I thought I'd try again.

The YDL 3.01 installer starts OK, but only gets to the third question
-- what type of media I'm going to use to install. It's the CD, but
the tab key doesn't register here (though it did on the two keyboard
questions) to move to 'OK'. The only key that works is space bar
registers, and then only once. At that point I'm frozen.

I tried Debian (Woody), too, and a similar thing happened. The
installer started and I am able to do a question or two about the
keyboard but then the installer goes into an endless loop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This machine has:

A 266 mhz processor
320 megs of ram