Capturing an rstp, mms or ogg audio stream and coverting to MP3

Chris Kastorff jckastorff at ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 9 23:06:13 MDT 2005

You'll need curl (or wget), lame, the vorbis-tools (oggdec, oggenc,
ogg123, etc), and a decent userspace (including awk, sed, ps, etc) for
this to work:

Automagically creating an mp3 straight from the ogg stream:
(you can replace "curl" with "wget -o -" if you want to)

     shell$ curl http://mystream/ilike/radio.ogg | oggdec -o - - | lame
-q 2 --abr BITRATE - /path/to/stream/output.mp3

If this returns static, then try adding "-e 1" or "-e 0" between
"oggdec" and "-o".

And to kill it:

     shell$ ps axc | grep curl | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $1 }' |
xargs -n 1 kill

Or if you're on Linux and it's a seperate file/script, as in #!/bin/sh
blahblahblah,

     shell$ ps axc | grep namofmyscript | awk '{ print $1 }' | xargs -n
1 kill

(The above will not work on Mach/OSX, for reasons better not explained
if you value your sanity.)

It's all just guesswork, because for some reason I can't load the
vorbis-tools nor can I load lame.

And by the way, I've tried numerous times to "copy" an r(s)tp/mms
stream and have had no luck at all with it.

	-Chris Kastorff, aka `encryptio`