Install on a Beige G3

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Wed Apr 13 08:13:29 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 22:27, Barry wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2005 16:09:07 -0500, Jim Ricken <jsac346 at hotpop.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 09:23, Barry wrote:

> > Mac 8600
> > Sonnet Cresendo G4 400Mhz proc card
> > ATI Rage128 15meg video card
> > 496megs Ram
> >
> > Thanks Jim
> >

> An 8600 is my next project. It's my last ancient Mac, but mine has a
> G3 upgrade card. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Don't get your hopes up about getting the G3 upgrade to work on the
8600. My experience is based on a 5500/225 with a Sonet G3 upgrade card
in the L3? slot. The basic problem is that for it to work you need to
have a minimal Mac OS install for bootx (and other extensions...namely
the extension for the G3 card) After many attempts I got as far as
having a working YDL3 install but without support for the G3 upgrade.
You probably can get YDL working on the 8600, but you need to load the
G3 extension in YDL and as far as I know there's no way to do that now.
It's been over a year since I was trying this out so maybe someone's
come up with a solution, but with older hardware I wonder who would take
the time to develop a solution???
If you do get it working pass the solution along as I still have one of
those PPC5500's in storage! ;-)

--
clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village, MA