[OT] Mac OS X: stop Folding@Home startup app in Terminal.app

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 16 11:01:46 MDT 2005

Dr. Sacco:

Thank you for your swift reply. Unfortunately....

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
>> Where can I find, modify, or kill Terminal.app shell startup
>> items in Mac OS X (10.3.8)?
>>
> Take a look at:
>
> /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/Resources/Defaults.plist
>
> It has an entry named "StartupFile".

I was extremely excited to read your message; it seemed like just the
right solution (although, how does Apple get off keeping preference
files *inside* the application?!). I just got here to work, eagerly
opened the Terminal.app package bundle, opened Defaults.plist with a
text editor...

and...

...there is nothing listed under StartupFile ('"StartupFile" = "";'). Rats!

I will keep poking around the drive. Although Apple has done an
excellent job of keeping the "under the hood" workings of Mac OS X
completely hidden from the casual user, they have also successfully kept
the "under the hood" workings of Mac OS X completely hidden from the not
so casual user. ;-)

I will report any success, under the heading "Off Topic."

Best wishes,
Clint