mapping AltGr on the Apple-key

stefan hessbrueggen stefan.hessbrueggen-walter at fernuni-hagen.de
Wed Apr 20 17:28:34 MDT 2005

Hi

I have installed Yellowdog 4.0.1 on an Apple Ibook G4. Almost everything
went smoothly - until I tried to create a German keyboard layout,
following the advice in the respective HOWTO and using GNOME. I have two
questions. The problem does not concern the german Umlaute and things
like that, but keys I get on a windows-machine using alt-gr ("@|\" and
the like)

1. I cannot find kbdconfig, an utility mentioned in the respective
HOWTO, in my Yellowdog 4.0.1. Thus, I have no idea of how to make GNOME
realize that I have changed my keymap. Reselecting the respective keymap
de-latin1-nodeadkeys.map in the GNOME control panel does not work.

2. Researching the problem on the net, I have found the following
workaround: enter "# xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = Mode_switch"" on the
command line. It seems a bit tiresome to do this each and everytime
after logging in just in order to be able to write an e-mail or a text
in Latex. What do I have to do in order to avoid this and have the AltGr
mapped on the Apple-key instantaneously after logging in?

Thank you for any light you can throw on the matter and for your
patience with a yellowdog-newbie

Stefan