Install of YDL 4.0.1 on Brand New dual 2.7Ghz G5 Fails with

Richardson, Jeremiah Jeremiah.Richardson at gd-ais.com
Tue Aug 2 08:10:43 MDT 2005

I am having the exact same problem with our new G5 Powermac and was
wondering if you ever got around this error and got YDL 4.0.1 installed.
Let me know what you found out and some good directions on how we can
get around it too.  Thanks a lot for your help.

Jeremiah Richardson

I found a kernel patch that may help, but how do I build a new
installation cd with an updated kernel?

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc64-dev/2005-May/004135.html

We just received a brand new G5 and the YDL installer fails to start.

I have tried using the three available options for installation on the
G5 and each time the installer freezes.

When attempting the safe install I was able to see a kernel panic.

Media Checks out ok as far as the MD5SUM:

e00f42560c330807c772e8b97f196ef8
yellowdog-4.0.1-orion-20050208-install1.iso

Panic Detail(No Screenshot or exact detail available):

i2c /dev entries driver

Oops: kernel access of bad area, sig:11 [#1]

POWERMAC

Call Trace

create_iface

.of_device_probe