Problem getting yellow dog to boot by default

Richardson, Jeremiah Jeremiah.Richardson at gd-ais.com
Tue Aug 2 18:10:34 MDT 2005

I have gotten Yellow Dog 4.0.1 running on 4 G5 Xserves, however, I have
to boot them into the open firmware every time to get them to boot
Yellow Dog correctly.  I am entering the commands through a PC which is
connected using a null modem cable and hyperterminal.  If I enter "boot
hd:,yaboot" Yellow Dog boots right up.  I have tried using ybin to fix
this but to no avail.  I'm not sure of the exact commands or parameters
to pass ybin and I'm also not sure that the hyperterminal should pick up
output from the machine if its not booted into the open firmware mode.
Any explanations of how to use ybin or fix this problem would be greatly
appreciated.  Also whether or not hyperterminal should see Yellow Dog
booting up when not in open firmware would be good to know.  Thanks so
much for your help.

Thanks,
Jeremiah Richardson