Can I use YDL 3.0.1 on a Mac Mini?

Joseph E. Sacco, PhD joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Sun Aug 7 10:24:56 MDT 2005

Ah... Didn't pay close attention to Owen's post. Sorry about that...

I take it that you do not [yet] have a ydl.net account.

As for YDL-3.0.1... I guess you could try it, but it is quite old.

Here is thought... If Xorg-0.6.6 is the problem, maybe YDL-4.0.1 can be
installed on the mini and then a newer version of Xorg, say 6.8.2, can
be added without removing or overwriting the existing Xorg installation:

        http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/CvsPage

I run Xorg-6.8.2 under YDL-4.0.1, built and installed using the approach
discussed above and it works fine.

Hmmm...  That seems like a lot of work for the price of a ydl.net
account.

I know that Owen has a mini. If Owen has "blessed" YDL-4.0.91 on a mini,
that would seem to be the way to go.

-Joseph

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 11:48, Jim Ricken wrote:
> Joseph E. Sacco, PhD wrote:
>
> >Why use YDL-3.0.1?
> >
> >Why not use YDL-4.0.1, which is known to work on a Mac mini?
> >
> >This is why, Jim

> >Re: Bad Ydl 4.0.1 install on a Mac mini
> >From:
> >Owen Stampflee <ostampflee at terrasoftsolutions.com>
> >Date:
> >Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:33:11 -0700
> >To:
> >Yellow Dog Linux General Discussion List <yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
> >
> >our old x.org doesnt really like the Mini, its actually quite the pain
> >in the ass. YDL 4.0.91 (beta, available from YDL.net enhanced... yes, I
> >promote 4.0.91 alot, its a much better product with respect to hw
> >support of newer machines, although powerbook users be careful, my
> >powerbook doesnt sleep with 2.6.12.3) has a new x.org, that works much
> >nicer on the little machine.

> >HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

> Re: Bad Ydl 4.0.1 install on a Mac mini
> From:
> Owen Stampflee <ostampflee at terrasoftsolutions.com>
> Date:
> Thu, 04 Aug 2005 14:33:11 -0700
> To:
> Yellow Dog Linux General Discussion List <yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>
> our old x.org doesnt really like the Mini, its actually quite the pain
> in the ass. YDL 4.0.91 (beta, available from YDL.net enhanced... yes, I
> promote 4.0.91 alot, its a much better product with respect to hw
> support of newer machines, although powerbook users be careful, my
> powerbook doesnt sleep with 2.6.12.3) has a new x.org, that works much
> nicer on the little machine.

joseph_sacco [at] comcast [dot] net