pine: was: Re: JOB POSTING: Application Evangelist

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Aug 10 08:21:24 MDT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Christopher Murtagh wrote:

> have a braindead license. For example, if a distro found a security problem
> with Pine, they're not allowed to ship patched binarys without written
> permission from UofW. Instead, they have to either wait for UofW to fix it
> and ship their binaries, or ship source or patches. This is really not
> acceptable.

Over the last ten years I have reported two security matters
to the Pine development team at UW.  In the first case, they
issued an update the next day, the second, in three days.

It packages and builds trivially on YDL 3 and 4. Updated
tarballs usually drop right into an old .spec file.  Instead
of speculating about possible problems, you might check the
true track record.

-- Russ Herrold