JOB POSTING: Application Evangelist

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Wed Aug 10 14:21:47 MDT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:18:49 -0400, Christopher Murtagh wrote: [....]
>> As you can tell from the participation on the pine list gmane carries,
>> and especially from comp.mail.pine, this app has lots of users,
>> especially *ix people.
>
>   Yes, and I'm one of them (I'm even using MacPine right now, deleted
> Mail.app the second I got my new laptop). I have been a Pine user for
> years and I really *love* the interface. However Pine isn't very distro
> friendly - they have a braindead license.

Yes I recognize you from c.m.p -- so surely you've read the license
discussions there?

Iirc, the pinemasters' take is that they are required by law (under which,
technically, as UW employees they are state officials) to insist on that
license, braindead or otherwise. That means, surely, that any change
requires not just caputoanal withdrawal on their part, but an act of the
State legislature.

Down  here we have a saying for whatever is next to impossible: it
practically requires an Act of Congress. Washington State is probably much
the same.

Things may be different in Canada; but what I hear from Canadians not
pleased with the current majority party in Ottawa doesn't sound like it.

Meanwhile, some of us mere users go on getting pine any way we can  -- and
unlike FC 3 & 4, YDL doesn't make getting it trivial; but it does enable
you to scp your addressbook and config files from your other linux
machine, which is a great boon once you do have pine. I've done my share
of configuring those from scratch on new machines, and hope I never have
to again.

And to repeat my original point: right here on this list we have a post
with a URL to an rpm that works. I suggest again that it is in Terrasoft's
interest as well as that of many users to post a link to it on the YDL
site -- or even offer it, with no guarantee, for download, if its author
agrees.

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;