YDL 4.0.1 FireWire drive installation failure

Bill Mueller bmueller at terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Aug 11 18:22:13 MDT 2005

> listed in the directory. ls actually lists it as "yaboot.conf ->
> ../boot/etc/yaboot.conf". Thinking that this is might be an alias, I poked
> around but found no directory "../boot/".

You're right on the alias guess... most call it a "symbolic link" or "sym link".
In this case, a second partition with all your boot files were created.  All
the files (kernel, yaboot, etc..) were stored there.  The link just points
to where the file is from where it should be.

> "boot=/dev/sda2" and "device=fw/node/sbp-2/disk at 0:" I also took the
> installer back as far as Disk Druid again to give me the following revised
> info about /dev/sda:
> /dev/sda2 Apple Bootstrap 1 1 1
> /dev/sda3 ext3 131071 1 16710

These two lines are correct and should be working.  You can verify yaboot
was installed by booting with the CD, switching over to the terminal and
typing:

    mkdir /tmp/tempdir
    mount /dev/sda2 /tmp/tempdir -thfs
    cd /tmp/tempdir/
    ls

you should see a couple files there: yaboot, ofboot, and yaboot.conf.

> BTW, while I didn't install the swap disk this time, I'm not sure if I need
> it or not. I've been trying to figure out how to create a virtual disk (if

Ram disk is correct.  Heres how to make a 8meg one located at /mnt/ram0.

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram0 bs=1k count=8k
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/ram0
    mkdir /mnt/ram0
    mount /dev/ram0 /mnt/ram0 -text3 -o loop

Any larger than 8megs, and you'll have to recompile your kernel to allow larger
sizes.

-Bill