[ydl-gen] G3 iBook Sleeps but won't Awaken

Brian Wood beww at bresnan.net
Fri Aug 19 22:08:15 MDT 2005

I just installed 4.0.1 on a 2001-vintage G3 iBook (500Mhz.)

While the machine does sleep, it does *not* wake up properly. I get:

"cpufreq: resume failed to assert current frequency is what timing core
thinks it is"

eth1: resuming
PHYID:4061E4,addr:0
eth0:Airport waking up
eth0: New Link Status: Connected (0001)

And then things just hang, requiring a H/W reset to get out of.

The H/W section of the Docs states that sleep should work on this
machine with 4.0.1 and a 2.6.10 kernel, which is what I am using, so I
am wondering if I am doing something wrong or not doing something I
should be.

I tried sleeping with an (unnamed) other distro as well, with the same
exact result, so this may not be a YDL-specific problem, but Yellow Dog
*is* the distribution that I am trying to make work, and is my primary
choice for an OS on this machine. I like the fact that YDL treats us PPC
folks as the primary users, not as stepchildren, which is the feeling I
get from the other distros. I think the question properly belongs on
this list.

---------

On a slightly different matter, does anybody know of a better trackpad
driver than what seems to be included with 4.0.1? Something like
Sidetrack or iScroll2? Just wondering.

Much thanks for any ideas, as always.