[ydl-gen] Re: HFS+ mount is read only -- how to make RW? (YDL 4.0.1)

Jeffrey Paul Burger jeff at sedona.net
Fri Dec 2 16:17:49 MST 2005

Thanks!... And I'm still in trouble. Here's what I get from pdisk:

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
 #:                type name        length   base      ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple           63 @ 1
 2:     Apple_Bootstrap untitled      2048 @ 64        (  1.0M)
 3:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled 394009666 @ 2112      (187.9G)
 4:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap       4080510 @ 394011778 (  1.9G)
 5:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled    204800 @ 398092288 (100.0M)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=398297088 (189.9G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

pdisk: Bad data in block 2 from '/dev/sdb'
pdisk: can't open file '/dev/hda'  (No medium found)

Somebody off-thread speculated that " it could be with the uid.  HFS doesn't
have the same ownership/permissions structure and the default is that only
root can write, but you can change this with mount options such as user,
umask, uid, etc." Unfortunately, this doesn't mean much to me though. But
since  to mount the errant disk still give me "Wrong fs type, bad option,
bad superblock on /dev/sdb or too many mounted filesystems", I'm thinking
that I somehow told it that the file system is not HFS+... in which case I'm
hoping that there's some way to tell it that it is indeed HFS+ and access
the data again.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jeff