[ydl-gen] Re: HFS+ mount is read only -- how to make RW? (YDL 4.0.1)

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Sat Dec 3 12:40:36 MST 2005

> Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:17:49 -0700
> From: Jeffrey Paul Burger <jeff at sedona.net>

> Somebody off-thread speculated that " it could be with the uid.  HFS doesn't
> have the same ownership/permissions structure and the default is that only
> root can write, but you can change this with mount options such as user,
> umask, uid, etc."

That was I, but it won't do you much good until you fix the
filesystem, which I can't be of much help with because I don't know
how it's broken.  Once you get it back the way it was (mountable and
readable but not writeable), see if you are able to write to it as
root.  If so, you can add an option to the mount command (or to
/etc/fstab) that will allow other users to write to it.

> pdisk: Bad data in block 2 from '/dev/sdb'

This suggests to me that you may have hosed the partition map on
/dev/sdb.  If so, you can use pdisk or parted to write a new one and
to create a partition where the old one used to be (if you know where
it was) without erasing the filesystem data it contains, but I'd
proceed extremely carefully and with the close supervision of somebody
familiar with the procedure, as a mistyped character can destroy your
whole universe.

Ray