[ydl-gen] vsftpd issues

boris.lau at sophos.com boris.lau at sophos.com
Fri Dec 9 07:39:44 MST 2005

yellowdog-general-bounces at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote on 07/12/2005
17:36:58:

> hello there,
>
> i am having a problem with my vsftpd server. i set it up last weekend and
> it was working fine when i connected through the local network. but today
> i had the chance to try it from the outside, and i connected to the
server
> without any problems, but i couldn't retrieve the file list.
>
> when i tried connecting with transmit at first, it tried to use the
> passive mode, but the data connection timed out, so it switched to PORT,
> and that didn't work either.
>
> when i used the terminal's ftp command directly, the same thing happened.
> i connect to the server, pass the authentication, but cannot get retrieve
> the list of files.

i had these problems a while ago too, hopefully the following tips would
help.

If your server connect to outside using NAT router, try setting the
pasv_address at your vsftpd.conf to your external ip of the router.

pasv_address
    Use this option to override the IP address that vsftpd will advertise
    Default: (none - the address is taken from the incoming connected
socket)

it is often that the PASV response address with be your LAN ip from the NAT
translation, which caused problem from outside.

hth
boris