[ydl-gen] shell script

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Fri Dec 9 16:32:05 MST 2005

Question: By turning off iptables, aren't you also shutting off all YDL
security and defenses comprising firewalls?

I'm not all sure this is a good thing unless you have other protection
such as a hardware firewall like the Stingray firewall, where ever you
use your powerbook while running YDL.  Since I'm raising the security
issue, you should consider that running OS X within MOL will not allow
OS X to protect your powerbook either.  OS X will defend itself (if
it's firewall is up), as it would run within MOL; this means it would
defend itself within that the functions of the Mac OS.  However, it
will not be able to protect YDL which surrounds it.  Not allowing YDL
to run it's iptables (which comprises it's firewalls) you are leaving
your entire system exposed.  I'm surprised others have not raised this
as a potential problem to consider carefully.

I'm merely expressing concern.  There is a lot of information on the
net regarding iptables, firewalls and security.  Here's one link
regarding one discussion you may care to consider:

http://uml-pub.ists.dartmouth.edu/wstearns/doc/adaptive-
firewalls.v0.1.html

Best wishes ....