mounting a usb scanner ? was (Re: [ydl-gen] Mounting SD Memory card)

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Dec 10 07:03:30 MST 2005

Thank you Brian and Cian for your suggestions.  I also went onto the
net and picked up some other information, which not surprisingly
matches what was already provided here.

What I discovered is this:
When I did tail as recommended I had to go nearly 300 lines back to
attempt to determine anything readable past all the errors the kernel
was reporting for the standard kernel provided with YDL 4.0.1.  I also
took an idea from Une, and attempted to discover if lsusb would provide
anything useful.  Unfortunately, I received the same error codes when I
attempted to run it.

Une, I believe the following link could be more useful to you.

http://www.linux-sxs.org./

When you get there look along the left row and click the category
Hardware.  In the right, you will find a list of all sorts of devices.
Click upon Scanners.
Now for the bad news.  As informative as the directions are, they
worked for an old kernel and an old version of SANE which has not been
updated since 2001.
Again what may be useful is the overall approach and what is discussed
as a procedure to attempt.  The actual commands may not work.  You may
pick up some more techniques and ideas by referring to Flash Card
Readers, also under the USB category.  Suggestion: Each subject area
you cover under USB will provide a little more background regarding
what you are attempting to do.  However, unless you try you won't
really know.  The author is perhaps not the best, but he certainly is
informative and as you have been asking the same question in regards to
your scanner problem for awhile you may want to investigate what he has
to say.

You will notice that he may repeat what I already mentioned, which is
you may have to install a modern kernel with the options for particular
drivers properly selected and then build and install that kernel first
and then proceed with attempting the invocations and commands you wish
after the appropriate drivers have been installed.  There is another
way to install drivers of course, and he does discuss that.  Select
Bedtime Reading and along the right you'll find a list of commands ...
select Modprobe and read carefully.

Best wishes....