[ydl-gen] Ergonomic keyboard for Linux?

Patrick Smith patsmith at pobox.com
Mon Dec 26 10:02:53 MST 2005

Jeffrey Paul Burger wrote:
> I have an ergonomic keyboard made by Ortek that works on the OS X side of my
> dual-boot system but not YDL. I'm hoping to either find a way to have Linux
> recognize the keyboard or find another ergo keyboard that is more Linux
> friendly.

Does the keyboard work at the boot prompt?  If so, and if you're willing
to rebuild the kernel, you may be able to get the keyboard to work in a
limited way (the basic keys should work, but extras may not, and lights
for caps lock etc. probably won't).

The idea is to build the kernel with support for the the USB keyboard
boot protocol, instead of the generic HID driver.  Use the USB_KBD flag
to do this.  Note, though, that you'll need USB_MOUSE and other devices
may cease to work.