YDL off the cutting edge

sloopy sloopy at ydl.net
Tue Feb 1 09:06:33 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 05:09, R. Hirschfeld wrote:
> For anyone from TerraSoft on the list, will security updates and the
> like be backported to YDL 3.0.1 or has support for that version
> essentially stopped?

yes, YDL 3 is rather old.

> I have an Old World machine (Wallstreet PowerBook) and I'm try to
> decide whether to stick with YDL (which I'd prefer) or switch to
> another distribution.

stick with YDL, its good for you ;')

> Alternatively I can hold out until YDL 4.1 (or 4.0.1) is released on
> CD if it will include a kernel that will run on an Old World machine
> (my understanding--please correct me if I'm wrong--is that 4.0 does
> not but that it is relatively easy to include this).  I realize that
> TerraSoft has dropped official support for Old World machines but I
> can handle the setup myself if I can at least boot the installer from
> the CD using the kernel and ramdisk supplied.  Will that be possible
> with the next release?  Is there a tentative timeframe yet for this?

support for Old World machines is completely gone, there are several
HOW-TO's on installing YDL 4.0 on OW's and literally the the support for
OW's will continue to be in the kernel source but not compiled in, so
therefore using future releases of YDL will be simply a matter of
getting a kernel to use with the installer and installing BootX (or quik
etc) yourself. and with the large number of OW machines around people
will be around to supply these for the foreseeable future.

sloopy.

p.s. i am not an employee of Terrasoft Solutions just one of many
devoted followers ;')