System time synchronization | HW problem?

Rick Thomas rbthomas55 at pobox.com
Wed Feb 2 15:20:52 MST 2005

On Jan 2, 2005, at 5:58 AM, Alexander Holst wrote:

> Here a snippet from dmesg:
>
> GMT Delta read from XPRAM: 120 minutes, DST: on
> via_calibrate_decr: ticks per jiffy = 63509 (381058 ticks)
> Warning: real time clock seems stuck!

	^^^	Bingo! ^^^

> Console: colour dummy device 80x25
> Calibrating delay loop... 202.75 BogoMIPS
>
> This is the corresponding part of dmesg from my beige G3:
>
> GMT Delta read from XPRAM: 120 minutes, DST: on
> via_calibrate_decr: ticks per jiffy = 167079 (1002477 ticks)
> Console: colour dummy device 80x25
> Calibrating delay loop... 466.94 BogoMIPS

If I understand it correctly, Bogomips is some function of the number
of times the system executes through a simple loop between interrupts
from the real-time clock.

It seems likely that the real-time clock chip -- which is very likely
on the I/O board -- is broken.  If it is delivering interrupts at a
random rate, or not at all, that would explain what you are seeing.
Thus the problem went away when you replaced the I/O board.

Depending on how brave you are feeling today, and whether you have some
way of identifying the real-time clock chip, you might try replacing it
with the good one from the "rev-A" I/O board.

Enjoy!

Rick