YDL off the cutting edge

sloopy sloopy at ydl.net
Wed Feb 2 17:06:41 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 16:40, Andrew wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:59:46 -0500
> Rick Thomas <rbthomas55 at pobox.com> wrote:

<snip>
> I don't expect TerraSoft to provide any support for OldWorld ever again :(
>
> Let me do it. There is, indeed, just a few quirks about YD4 on OldWorld
> macs. The first one is the 2.6.8 TSS-provided "default" kernel that will not
> boot such macs. But its not far as it sit at a MON> prompt, keyboard working...
> Eddieb provides a kernel that will boot, install and run YDL4 on OldWorld Macs.
> Thus its "made-for" ANS machines, it work anyway. The ramdisk.image.gz found on
> YDL4 CD1 is fine for what I can tell off my personal experimentations...
> Kernel 2.6.9 from a TSS hero DO WORK with OldWorlds
>
> <http://shiner.info/files/Yellow%20Dog%20Linux%204/kernel/vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7>
>
> Make sure you install in 'text-mode' (insert 'text' in BootX more kernel arguments)
> This will avoid some RAM problems some folks ran into. This time, as opposed to YLD3,
> You will need a /boot partition (50MB should be enough as only 16MB is currently
> used on mine)
> Lastly, you HAVE TO USE the initrd-*.img file AS A RAMDISK IN BOOTX. This mean you'll
> have to manually copy the file /boot/initrd-*.img onto the MacOS side of things for
> each kernel you wish to use.
>
> Lastly, thus I have been successfull with YDL4 on OW, among many others,  some models may
> not go.
> Please, visit this thread on yellowdog-board for issues and/or success stories with YDL4
> on OW macs.
>
> <http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=339>

and this kernel will install YDL 4 on OW even machines with a 601 cpu:

http://www.ydl.net/~sloopy/ydl4/

this kernel is a little older then the kernel ydl 4 uses (was current at
the time i made the YDL 4/OW HOW-TO) but this kernel will work on all
power surge models and the beige G3's, and have been very well tested...

sloopy.

p.s. there is nothing wrong with eddie's kernel on shiner.info, i just
got sick and havnt been able to update my kernel/HOWTO...