Updating YDL 3.0

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 09:22:20 MST 2005

Arnor, I've been procrastinating on doing this myself, but, I (on the
list) received this e-mail last month. Please note that the kernel
discussion does NOT apply to your B&W G3 since it's a so-called "New
World" machine.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 08:44:59 +0000, Arnór Kristjánsson wrote:

> Once upon a time I installed YDL 3.0 on an aging B/W G3. The machine
> has been running happily for a few years running http, ftp and one
> custom app.
>
> I was under the impression that I could update the system with yum or
> apt, but somehow that doesn't work.
>
> My yum.conf file looks like its the default one, but somehow there are
> no actions taken, even after years of no updates....I'm getting pretty
> scared that the ftp server is "leaking".
>
> Is this normal?  Can I update to 3.0.1 via yum/apt?

This is the e-mail, in its entirety with a few follow-up comments:
Geert Janssens <geert.janssens3> to Yellow Show options Jan 15

Andrew wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:21:09 -0500
> Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar> wrote:
>
>>Re: upgrading YDL 3.0.x to 4.0
>>
>>On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:19:43 -0800, Daniel Gimpelevich
>><daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
>>
>>>Someone posted this immediately after 4.0 came out:
>>><http://www.shiner.info/?manuals/ANS-from-3-to-4.html>
>>>Some adjustments have to be made to that page, though. Step 1 is obsolete;
>>>you now simply replace your /etc/yum.conf file with the one at
>>><http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-December/017330.html>
>>>and do a "yum clean all" before continuing with Step 2. Step 5 no longer
>>>applies because yum will now install a nearly universal kernel, which you
>>>will immediately want to put in your /etc/yaboot.conf and issue a
>>>"/sbin/ybin -v" command. If you are using BootX, instead copy the kernel
>>>from /boot to your Linux Kernels folder, and also copy the matching
>>>initrd-(version).img, which you will need for the Use Ramdisk option which
>>>must now be ON. Set the Additional Kernel Arguments to "rhgb quiet" and
>>>save preferences. After booting the new kernel, continue with Step 6.
>>
>>Some questions of my own:
>>
>>Will this procedure pull down a kernel appropriate for an OldWorld machine?
>
> The stock kernel (2.6.8-1.ydl.7) will NOT boot a OldWorld.
> It will hang at a mon> prompt shortly after bootloader. The kernel from
>  shiner.info: <http://www.shiner.info/?manuals/ANS-from-3-to-4.html>
> will work just fine as well as the latest kernel from TSS (2.6.9-1.ydl.8).
> Use shiner's kernel to install via anaconda then upgrade via yum.

With the procedure as described above, the system will NOT hang.

The yum.conf file referred to above will make yum install the updated
kernel (2.6.9-1.ydl8), not the kernel that came on the distribution CD's
of YDL4. This kernel boots fine on OldWorld systems.

Cheers,

Geert Jan