Updating YDL 3.0

Eddie Bindt eddieb at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 8 23:23:24 MST 2005

On Feb 8, 2005, at 11:17 PM, Arnór Kristjánsson wrote:

> I went ahead with the instructions on
> http://www.shiner.info/?manuals/ANS-from-3-to-4.html

I wrote that ....
It is ment to update Oldworld machines from YDL3 to YDL4, but should
work for all machines.

> and all went well in the beginning:
> [Step2]:
> [root at xa yellowdog-4.0]# rpm -qa | grep ^glibc
> glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.24
> glibc-common-2.3.1-51a
> glibc-devel-2.3.1-51a
> glibc-2.3.1-51a
> [root at xa-speakers yellowdog-4.0]#
> --
>
> Then something strange happened when I issued the next command:
> # rpm -qa|grep ^glibc|grep -v kernheaders|xargs rpm --justdb --nodeps
> -ev
> [root at xa root]#
>
> It isn't verbose!!

That is not too important ...

> [root at xa root]# rpm -qa|grep ^glibc
> glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.24
> [root at xa root]#
>
> So it seems to have run OK.
>
> But:
>
> [root at xa root]# yum install glibc
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: YellowDog Linux 4.0 os
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> No Packages Available for Update or Install
> No actions to take
> [root at xa root]#

Here something goes wrong, It should find glibc and installs it.

REMEMBER YOUR RPMDB IS INCONSISTANT NOW !!!

> What can I do to fix this? Manually RPMing this brings up a looong
> chain of dependancies not met. Should I pursue them?

Double check your yum.conf ...
Look in the .hdr files if there is a glibc hdr inside there

I updated 1 machine usning this procedure last weekend over http:// and
all went fine...

Eddie