Updating YDL 3.0

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 14:00:08 MST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:10:29 +0100, Eddie Bindt <eddieb> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2005, at 6:26 AM, Eric Dunbar wrote:
>
> > I'm following Shiner's instructions but run into the following errors
> > when I do "yum upgrade" (glibc installed properly, though a 2004
> > appeared where a 2003 was showing in Shiner's instructions):
> >
> > Resolving dependencies
> > .Package apt needs librpm-4.1.so, this is not available.
<snip>
> > Package apt needs libelf.so.0, this is not available.
>
> This is a more general dependancy problem. The packages on your system
> complaining (apt, rpm2html.Xtest, pine and imap) require a package with
> a version  that does NOT exists in YDL4 ...
> You need to manually remove the packages complaining with rpm -e, and
> than proceed with the upgrade to YDL4.
> After the upgrade went succesfull, youcan try to reinstall the
> complaining packages (if you need them) with "yum install <camplaining
> package>" .
> If there is a version availiable in YDL4, it will install, otherwise
> you need to build the package yourself and install manually.

Alright, rpm -e bunch of packages worked.

Now I've got another problem -- not enough disk space, I think!!!

Originally I partitioned my 80 GB drive into three sections Mac OS 9/X
(a few GB), HFS+ (decent chunk), and YDL (the rest). I also
sub-divided YDL into / and /home.

According to du -h
/ is ~ 7.7 G with 5.7 G used and 1.6 G free (doesn't quite add up ?)
/home is 35 G with 25 G used and 8.8 G free

So, anyway, this is the error that yum threw up after downloading everything...

Whole list of downloads...
Getting httpd-manual-2.0.51-2.9.ydl.1.ppc.rpm
httpd-manual-2.0.51-2.9.y 100% |=========================| 1.5 MB    00:20
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!
Errors installing:
('installing package kernel-source-2.6.9-1.ydl.8 needs 223MB on the /
filesystem', (9, '/', 233213952L))
<snip>
('installing package w3m-0.5.1-3.1 needs 225MB on the / filesystem',
(9, '/', 235433984L))
('installing package tora-1.3.13-2.1 needs 514MB on the / filesystem',
(9, '/', 538259456L))
('installing package licq-kde-1.2.7-3 needs 514MB on the /
filesystem', (9, '/', 538136576L))
<snip>
('installing package aspell-en-0.51-7.1 needs 561MB on the /
filesystem', (9, '/', 587657216L))
[root at localhost root]#

Well, what can I do?

/var/chache/yum is 1.4 G according to du -h --max-depth=1.

If I were to move it over to my /home partition, thereby freeing up
1.4 G would I be able to create an "alias" (symlink?) to this new
directory in /var/cache and would that extra 1.4 G be enough to allow
the "yum upgrade" to succeed.

Please note that if the alias solution could work... I do need a bit
of advice on how to set up the alias (I know it's possible but I've
never had a reason to do it yet).

Thanks, Eric.