Updating YDL 3.0

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 14:45:14 MST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:30:13 -0500, Andrew <virgule88@> wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:22:03 -0800, Daniel Gimpelevich
> > <daniel at gimpelevich> wrote:
> > > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:31:58 -0500:

> > > When I said the option must now be ON, I was referring only to running the
> > > machine, not installation. If it causes a kernel panic, you need to supply
> > > a root= kernel arg.
> >
> > Anyway, "root=" seems to crash the system when I use a RAM disk. For
> > that matter, I *cannot* get the 2.6.9 .img setting to boot with BootX
> > 1.2.2 (should I be using a different version of BootX?). I've also
> > tried passing:
> > rghb quiet init=
> > init=
> > init=rghb quiet
> > =init
> >
> > I do end up getting slightly different screen outputs depending on the
> > sequence used but all of them end with the complaint of kernel panic,
> > and pass init= to the kernel at boot.
> >
> > Only when I do _NOT_ use the .img/RAM disk will the computer boot
> > reporting INIT: 2.85. I'm going to give init=2.85 a try.
> >
> > Why do you say the RAM disk MUST be used?
> >
> > PS I'm trying to do this on a Rev A Beige G3/266.
>
>  Do you mean it crash when you use the initrd.<version>.img file found in /boot
> or the ramdisk.image.gz from the CD?

This is the RAM disk file name:
initrd-2.6.9-1.ydl.8.img

This is the kernel that works for me when selected from the kernel
pop-up list (found in the "Linux Kernels" folder in the System Folder
on the OS 9 disk):
vmlinux-2.6.9-1.ydl.8

Both came from the /boot directory after doing yum upgrade and waiting
a long time ;-)

So, is my machine an anomaly or is that why I've got dependency hell
where I can't install mozilla (for e.g.) because python 2.2 cannot be
found (and python 2.3 is already installed).

Eric.