Searching for dependencies (libcom_err.so.3)

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 09:51:31 MST 2005

Alright, I've been trying to figure out how to get the libcom_err.so.3
dependency satisfied.

I'm trying to install pine into YDL 4 using the Add/Remove
Applications interface (system-config-packages) and it complains of a
missing and uninstallable libcom_err.so.3 dependency.

I found a reference on the web that suggested creating a symbolic link
to libcom_err.so.2 to satisfy the .3 dependency (which supposedly
worked for another app in another FC-based distro). No dice. Did not
work for me.

So, now I'm trying to figure out how to get libcom_err.so.3 satisfied
properly. Is this possible? Should I start from scratch and reformat /
and reinstall or can I get this not-so-happy YDL 4.0 system working at
100% again.

PS 1 for a while I lost the ability to login to GNOME and still can't
login to KDE. I installed enough gnome packages using yum that
eventually gdm would allow me to login to something other than TWM :)

PS 2 FreshRPMS + upgrade in place from 3.0.1 + FreshRPMS packages ->
4.0 is NOT a good idea if you don't quite know what you're doing (like
me :) :) :) (this has been a good learning experience... I figure I
may as well try to get this install working properly, and, if I do
screw it up royally, I can just install anyway... besides, right now
httpd and smb file sharing still work and those are the most important
things :).

Eric.