Its not 'multi tasking' anymore? LONG

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 14 15:00:23 MST 2005

Dr. Sacco:

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> Older hardware is a challenge and an amusement [:-)]...

Too much so! (As I think wistfully of the "museum" I am accumulating at
home...)

> One of my favorite toys an old Nubus PPC-6100/60AV with a
> NewerTech 240/160 MHz PDS G3 card, an 18GB SCSI drive, and
> a womping 264MB of RAM. This box runs YDL-3.0.1, albeit slowly:

Tell us more: how well does Yellow Dog Linux support the PDS card? I
have at work such a machine with (I believe) the exact same PDS-slotted
G3 card. In Mac OS 7.x, the card requires a low-level init/Control Panel
to function. I was not able to get it to function in Mac OS 9.x, thus
killing its efficacy as a Retrospect Backup server (the upgrade to
Retrospect that supported Mac OS X backups required Mac OS 9 or higher
for the server). Rather than send this machine to our Surplus
Department, I would love to keep it in service running something.

Best wishes,
Clint