Gnome Question: How do you unlock the gnome menus for editing???

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 14 15:16:49 MST 2005

Dr. Sacco:

A caveat: I am not anywhere near a Linux machine right now, so I cannot
test this.

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> The Gnome-2.6 menus appear to be locked and cannot be edited
> using nautilus.

By "menus," do you mean the applications menu in the lower left (often)
of the kicker panel? I thought that there was a dedicated utility to
edit these menus, not Nautilus. Try right-clicking or middle-clicking --
as a regular user -- in various places around and near the kicker panel.
I seem to recall that this would invoke the menu editor (whose name
cannot be found easily using Google). I *do* remember that the place to
click to bring up editor was not immediately obvious to me, so be creative.

> For example, any attempt by "root" to add a folder to the
> Applications menu causes nautilus to crash.

I also recall that editing the Gnome application menu in Red Hat Fedora
Core 2 inevitably caused a crash of the editor app while it was loading.
By watching the loading sequence carefully, I noticed that it always
crashed at a certain point when the application icons were loading, so
trashing those icon files fixed the problem. Possibly YDL 4.0 inherited
that bug.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Best wishes,
Clint