Powermac G5 fan speed

Keith Mitchell kamitch at cisco.com
Tue Feb 15 14:29:05 MST 2005

Owen Stampflee wrote:

>Yeah, new machines are rather broken again (the new base model G5s have
>an iMac G5 bridge). We cant figure out how the fans work yet. I'm
>surprised YDL 4.0 installed at all.

It didn't go on there very easily...  It kept putting the non-G5 kernel
on the machine and I had to go in and make it use the G5 kernel by hand
and then I had to disable kudzu.  At this point, things sorta worked but
the machine would not reboot.

One of my coworkers loaned my a copy of the 4.0.1 ISOs to try and they
seem to work better (i.e. it actually installs byitself), but the fans
are still an issue.

>Send me /proc/cpuinfo, to make sure it is a new machine.

This is from the 4.0.1 install...

processor    : 0
cpu        : PPC970FX, altivec supported
clock        : 1800.000000MHz
revision    : 3.0

timebase    : 33333333
machine        : PowerMac9,1
motherboard    : PowerMac9,1 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
detected as    : 415 (Unknown K2-based)
pmac flags    : 00000000
pmac-generation    : NewWorld

--
Keith Mitchell                         |        |         |