OS 9 with MOL?

Andrew Zschetzsche zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
Wed Feb 16 14:59:13 MST 2005

On Feb 16, 2005, at 2:33 PM, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:

> I have a OS-9.2.2 disk connected to a G4 Silver [dual 533MHz]. This G4,
> circa 2001, can boot natively into OS-9.  Did Apple do something
> prevent
> you from installing OS-9 on your newer G4 iBook?

Why yes, all new Apple hardware since a while ago (I'm not sure when,
but for example, according to apple-history.com, the minimum os the
original iBook G4 can run is 10.2.8.  Apple's been doing this to a
higher extent for even newer hardware; my Early 2004 (my gosh, it's
that old already) iBook G4 needs 10.3, and the iMac G5 and Mac Mini
needs 10.3.5+ or so.

> I am guessing that MOL won't care since it only needs to know where the
> OS9 partition is located.

Hmmm...  I tried this before but with come caviats.  I set MOL to my OS
X partition with Classic installed, and ran startmol (actually I was
trying for OS X at the time).  mol did something, i can't remember, but
it hung somewhere.

> If you have an OS-9 disk in an external box, this could be an easy
> experiment to try, assuming you have a version of MOL with working
> sheep
> drivers.

I'll be trying this when I get my brand new hard disk and external
enclosure in a few days.  (My book's gonna be a speed demon when I get
that sucker in here!  :)

Thanks,
Andy

> On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 15:02, Andrew Zschetzsche wrote:
>> On a slightly related note, does anyone know if you can use MOL to
>> boot
>> into OS 9 on new hardware that no longer can do it?  For example, on
>> my
>> iBook G4 1.2ghz, where I can't start OS 9 by itself.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andy
>>

> --
> joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net

Andrew Zschetzsche
University of Minnesota, Morris
zsche004 at morris.umn.edu
aim: zsche004
msn: zsche004 at mrs.umn.edu

America's Best Public Liberal Arts College.

--The best answer to a problem with multiple solutions is often the
simplest one.

"One of the best things you can do to improve your life is to quit"
   -- Actual pull quote from the University Register