Rescue mode

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Sun Feb 20 09:48:45 MST 2005

* Boot up off install disk #1 and watch the screen closely.

* At the appropriate moment, hit the TAB key, which will allow you to
enter a selection.

* enter:

	install rescue

which will launch anaconda in rescue mode. You will now be running a
mini-linux off the RAM disk.

* follow the instructions presented
Your actual linux installation will be mounted under /mnt/. You will be
given explicit instructions on how to run "chroot".  Once you have
"changed root", your editors will work.

-Joseph

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 10:33, Charles Trois wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I had YDL 3.0.1 running on my G4 iMac, but, due to some foolhardy
> changes (probably in /etc/fstab), the thing does not work any more
> and I am trying to repair it.
>
> So I have booted with install rescue and immediately got an error
> message: "An error occurred trying to mount some or all of your system.
> Some of it may be mounted under /mnt/sysimage".
>
> Indeed I see in the shell that /mnt/sysimage contains only dev, home and
> proc, whereas the whole system should be there (if I understand
> correctly). There is also / , but it looks queer: fstab seems to be
> absent from /etc.
>
> At this stage, having no previous experience in this field, I feel
> uncertain of what I am supposed to do. On the Net, although there are
> plenty of references to "rescue", none deals with anything similar to my
> case.
>
> What I want is just to edit /etc/fstab, and I don't want to try anything
> that would make things worse.
>
> Could somebody advise me, please?
>
> Charles

joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net