Griffin iMic with YDL 401?

John M. Wright jmw at chem.ucsd.edu
Mon Feb 21 17:36:39 MST 2005

On  Sun, 20 Feb 2005 (in response to my request for information
or assistance to get a Griffin iMic to work with YDL 401, and
about a new YDL HOWTO pertaining to same), Owen Stampflee wrote:

 > Yes, that howto should have never gone live... I didnt post it although
 > I did write it. It was taken out of context.
 >
 > I have tested sound recording with the iMic, but try to remove
 > snd-powermac from /etc/modprobe.conf and rebooting so it's just using
 > the iMic and I'm gonna guess you'll have better success that way.

Thanks, Owen; that does work.  It doesn't seem to be necessary to
reboot; if all the sound applications, then modprobe -r snd_powermac
and plug the iMic in, it works.  Unplugging the iMic and modprobing
snd_powermac back in restores the internal audio.

Several times my computer (TiBook) has hung when I inplugged the
iMic, possibly because I forgot to shut down applications using it
before unplugging.  Twice it seemed to disconnect the keyboard,
and I had to use the power switch to turn it off and re-boot.

John Wright

 Dr. John M. Wright, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, M/S 0314, UCSD,
 La Jolla, CA 92093-0314; email: jwright at ucsd.edu; phone: 858-534-3049